The school environment should be welcoming and friendly and just as importantly so should the people who work there. First impressions are very important to both parents, carers as well as the children. There are some important techniques you should learn when communicating with children, especially on that all important first meeting.
• Find out the child’s name or what they like to be called, how to correctly pronounce it and always use it when communicating with them
• Show them around and make sure they know where the toilet is
• Explain the daily routine at the school, break times etc
• Go over the emergency procedures with them such as fire drill
• Find out the child’s interests
• Explain what is expected of them regards behaviour